Choosing a Swimming Pool ContractorIf you are looking for a pool contractor, please take some time to look through the following information:
- The Checklist for Homeowners is required to be given to a homeowner along with any bid or home improvement contract in California. It has information that will be useful in your search for the right contractor, so please take a moment to look at it now.
The California Contractor's State Licensing Board website has numerous resources to assist homeowners looking for a contractor. (All links below will take you to the CSLB website.)
- All home improvement contractors must be registered with the state. Contractors must tell you their license classification (C-53 denotes Swimming Pool) and license number. You can check your contractor's license online with the CSLB.
- General information about hiring a contractor.
- A 15-minute educational video, entitled Doing it Right: Hiring a Licensed Contractor
- Information about hiring a Swimming Pool Contractor.
- A booklet entitled Before You Dive In provides a comprehensive overview of the entire process, from choosing a contractor through job completion.
- Make sure you understand mechanic's liens before you start construction. CSLB provides this information about Mechanic's Liens, and also a Homeowners Guide to Preventing Mechanics Liens.